PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report Changing to CTAF, please
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 16:19
rotorblades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chadzat,
ERSA ENR 21.1.7
reports of changing to CTAF frequency are required by pilots of IFR flights inbound to to non-towered aerodrome when the ATC Frequency will not, or cannot, be monitored.

So technically you are right, you dont have to. But I would say if you are unable to acknowledge a call, even with just callsign, it could fall under the cannot be monitored factor. As the another part of ERSA enroute says IFR in class-G airspace have to be in contiuous two-way communication with ATC.

Its more of a courtesy. If we know you are in comms with the CTAF we have a plausable reason not to be too concerned if you dont answer a call & more importantly if we pass traffic on an unknown aircraft climbing out towards you we arent *as* concerned if we know you are probably speaking to the aircraft on the CTAF.
Subject to what the legal requirements say, even if you just tell us something like on CTAF Comm 2 maintaining listening watch with you on Comm1. Or if you can think of something nicer than that.
I'm trying to think of a way of wording this eloquently and concisely but I dont think its gonna happen...here goes
If we transmit to a pilot and get no response its classed (in airservices) as a sked call (scheduled call) missed and we have to enter the com check phase, i.e. multiple transmissions to aircraft, relay via another aircraft (normally means getting an overflyer to switch to the CTAF to attempt to get two-way)etc. IF after 15 mins after our initial call no response or confirmation that the aircraft is on CTAF (or whatever the circumstance - on the ground etc) we have to initiate an ALERFA (Alert Phase) and then thats when it raises a notch, CENSAR is alerted. Its the same principle if you ( I mean pilots not you personally if you know what I mean) take more than 10mins from taxi call to dep or airborne call and ATC SAR alert timer goes off, or forgetting to cancel Sarwatch for arrival.

Last edited by rotorblades; 9th Apr 2010 at 16:45. Reason: Updated to add ERSA extract