PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to repossess an R44
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 15:31
rick1128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have reppo'ed several aircraft here in the states and the way these guys did it was totally illegal. Not only would they have been sued, they would have been arrested. What for? Assault, assault and battery, conspiracy and grand theft for starters. You don't call in a repo especially after the fact. You don't assault anyone. You are allowed to protect yourself, within the full extent of the law. You don't read them the repo order, you are required to give them a copy. If at night or in a situation where the owner or rep is not available, I would leave the repo order with the FBO or taped inside the hangar door. You are required to let them read it and make any phone calls they want to. Normally, I had a police officer with me when I did the repo. Especially after 9/11. It prevents many problems. One the guy usually wouldn't offer any resistance and if he did I would let the officer handle it. That saved me a lot of problems, physically and legally. Plus is also prevented me from being met at the other end by law enforcement.

It is kind of a shame that this kind of 'reality' tv is shown. It makes people who are professionals and do a good legal job of repo'ing vehicles and do try to treat everyone with dignity and respect look like common street bullies.