PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - different warnings?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2002, 11:07
flapsforty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You people are a collective goldmine of information! .
This is what makes me PPRuNe.

McD, as you know, pre 9/11 we used to fly with the cocpit door not only unlocked, but wide open.
So all of us FAs were very used to hearing various alerts emanate fromt he pointy-end. Both during the pre-flight stage and in actual flight. And after 20 years of seeing the pilots deal with them calmly and capably, there isn't a lot which will alarm old-timers like me.

As a matter of fact, hearing a terrain warning has a very different effect on me. I started my career on the DC-9 in december. Dutch december wx is horrible; cold, rainy and gusty. AC freezing early in the morning, while we were shiveringly doing our pre flights, the TERRAIN boomed out of the cockpit.
And then after take-off all of a sudden we were in this serene, sunny world of blue skies and fluffy clouds below us. The sun slanting through the portholes, the cabin suddenly a warm and cozy place.
All these nice smiling passengers, me in a spiffy uniform handing out food&drinks and having lots of fun in this new shiny world of aviation.
Hearing a terrain warning always takes me back to those days and puts a big smile on my face.

Thanks for all the links people; much appreciated!