PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report Changing to CTAF, please
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 14:31
rotorblades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Report Changing to CTAF, please

Hi All,
I've been asked by other controllers (& I concur) to highlight this (politely) to, mainly, RPT flights into CTAF/CTAF(R) airports. Please can you advise ATC when you are changing to, or in comms on, the CTAF frequency. If you dont tell ATC we (ATC) are still responsible for passing on traffic information, hazard alerts, SPECIs/ATAFs etc. Which we DONT mind, but when we dont get an answer after 2 or 3 calls it is frustrating. We understand you are probably broadcasting or talking on the CTAF frequency or on final phase checks but unless you tell us we are not psychics. And on several occasions I've had pilots shout, moan & generally get stroppy when asked after they landed whether they had received any previous transmissions, that they couldnt answer because in a busy portion of their flight & also on the CTAF.
Tell us and then we dont have to worry you are going to hit the aircraft taxiing out for an opposite end departure.
If you dont answer us we (theoretically) have to start the process on SAR action. Most controllers (me included) mostly assume you are on the CTAF, but if your not and something happens, its everyones bum on the hotplate.
Thanks
Alex