PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the best FTO at Shoreham airport?
Old 9th Apr 2010, 14:29
CessnaCJM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodwood is a little more expensive than most of the clubs at Shoreham, but their maintenance is generally very good (safety is important to me as are all the bits on the aeroplane working). Many of the instructors too are very experienced and rarely in a rush to get onto the next pupil through the door as some others are.

They are also owned by a 'rich dude' so are unlikely to go bust (sorry me lord!) who finally seems to be spending time trying to boost the aviation side.

At Goodwood you wont spend an age trying to get off the ground in the summer which can happen at Shoreham - conversely of course you wont get stuck in the mud in the winter at Shoreham and not be able to fly for weeks on end when the weather is crisp and clear!

I would personally rather be taught by an older sage than a young know it all just trying to build hours any day. I am not insinuating that all young instructors are poor or that all older instructors are good - but think about what YOU want to learn from the experience rather than what the instructor may be working toward.

This isnt an ad for Goodwood or Shoreham (I still use both for instruction after 35 years) but from my experience at both I think there are a number of considerations which you need to think about - for example if YOUR end game is a commercial licence or touring in a more complex aircraft consider a club that does commercial/advanced instruction as perhaps they would be more likely to prepare you for the road ahead and you might get some benefit in the longer term from knowing the guys that run it. If its for fun then find a more clubby atmosphere with aircraft similar to those that you want to fly longer term.

Do go and look at the aircraft - how they are kept inside and out - do they look tatty and held together by gaffa tape - just because an instructor CAN fly with half the instruments/radios not working why should you?

Popham is also great for a visit although some of their facilities make Goodwoods look like the Ritz! (No offence oh great ones of Popham)

Finally good luck and enjoy it!