PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL : Performance
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 11:32
Keith.Williams.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it helps to quote the standard section from your notes, which in Logic is called "appealing to revered authority"
I have not quoted any part of any set of notes.

It is fact that constant speed props delay the fall off in thrust as speed increases. This creates a flatter thrust curve at the low speed end of the speed range.

It is also a fact that THP = Thrust X TAS.

So by producing a flatter thrust line, a constant speed prop causes THP to increase as speed increases (untill the eventual reduction in thrust outweighs the increasing TAS).

It is also a fact that because THP = Thrsut X TAS, all aircraft propulsion systems produce zero THP when TAS is zero.

If the power available curve is flat at speeds near Vimp then Vimp gives the max excess of power.

I agree, but that is a big IF.

If the slope of the power available curve is rising with TAS then Max power excess will be higher than Vimp.
That is what I said.

If the examiner gave 95kt as the correct answer then he presumably had a reason for it.
Perhaps he has performance curves for a specific twin that he has used to make up the question.

We both know that many of the CQB questions have been and continue to be rubbish. This is just one more of those rubbish questions.