PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - altimeter settings in USSR
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 09:49
Dumbledor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

notanastronaut,

You're right 'Krug' ('director' to us I think?) will always clear you down to a heights by QFE for the approach. It's just a bit of simple but careful cockpit work to turn the metric height into an imperial altitude with QNH set (or metric altidude if your a/c has a metric option) via the jepp approach chart. The heights that you will be cleared to and their conversions are all on the chart so you can make a note of them in the approach briefiing. The PNF could write down the actual clearance and the imperial altitude next to eachother.

As said before at least the EGPWS is still valid with QNH on the altimeters and you can compare your altitude with MSA / vectoring minima. It's safer all round.

I find it useful to keep climb and descent rates down a bit as the sectors seem to be seperated vertically, for example you often need to change freq to get a further climb/ desc. If you call approaching the level/alt around 1000' (a trick I learned from a Russian navigator!) before you may have time to change freq, check in, get a further climb/desc, convert & set it.

D