PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 09:31
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HazelNuts39's Graph of AoA versus cL for QF72

Quote from HazelNuts39:
"I’m pleased someone is interested in my little exercise.
... with some help from BOAC and PJ2."

You are too modest... I did wonder. But may I suggest it may be advisable to provide an attribution, in case someone assumes it is extracted from an official report?

Quote:"The DFDR traces in the ATSB report include AoA, but the scale chosen to show the ‘spikes’ is too small to read a real AoA value."

I see the problem, but would it still be worth superimposing the official AoA trace on your graph, for comparison purposes: uncorrected and perhaps also corrected by the Prandtl-Glauert "rule"?

Not having read the QF72 report in any detail, must admit I do not know if wind and/or vertical air-currents were a factor. In relation to AF447, however, there is every reason to suspect that horizontal and/or vertical gusts may have at least contributed to the aircraft departure.

Quote:
"In this case: it is assumed that the airmass does not move vertically: sin(fpa)=vsi/TAS "

In our earlier discussions, I think I was able to establish in #552/Mar23rd if only qualitatively that even a steady movement of the airmass (vertically and/or horizontally) leads to an error in the assumption that " alpha = pitch - fpa ". As for gusts, they are another matter.

Nevertheless, subject to the points above, your graph seems to be a very useful exercise thanks.

And thank you, CONF iture, for the official graph of AoA for the XL Airways accident.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Scott; 9th Apr 2010 at 12:38. Reason: Link to post#552 added.