PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class D Transition and IFR/VFR Operations
Old 9th Apr 2010, 08:18
mirage3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Class D Transition and IFR/VFR Operations

IFR operators need to talk to CASA about some so far unadvertised impacts upon IFR operations. The problem is that CASA has determined that where Class D airspace abuts Class C airspace, then for ATC separation purposes, the Class D and Class C volumes are considered as one volume for ATC separation purposes. For example, at Bankstown, an IFR Duchess departing runway 11C on a BK2 departure is dependent upon ALL IFR activity within the Sydney Class airspace volume. Considering that the Federal Government's stated policy is that the Sydney Long Term Operating Plan (LTOP) will NOT be impacted by the transition from GAAP to Class D operations, guess who the losers will be? BK operators or the 'heavy' operators at Sydney who will have no hesitation in letting the Minister what they think if even one of their scheduled services is delayed even for a minute?

It is potentially so serious an issue for IFR operators at the shortly to be reclassified GAAP airports that the impact may very well send a lot of those operators to the wall. Get off your bottoms ladies and gents and contact CASA and demand that organisation give you the exact implications of the CASA decision to transition from GAAP to Class D airspace.

Do not be fooled into thinking that this transition is a minor thing; it certainly is not. The VFR folk need to consider their well-being as well because the end result of these changes does not look pretty.

If you thought that the CASA directive about the mandatory restrictions of 6 aircraft in the circuit in 2009 was bad for business, you ain't seen nothing yet.

The VFR and IFR operators need to contact CASA. In fact, you need to overwhelm them with your demands for an education and information program ASAP.

Don't ask Airservices Australia ATC staff for the answers. They are NOT the regulators. All they do (very well for the most part) is apply the procedures that are dictated to them by CASA.

Welcome to the brave new world. Training organisations and Flight Instructors need to pray to all known gods that their students have the common sense and ability to transition from GAAP to Class D on June 3. Sadly, history shows that most will blunder on oblivious to rule changes and expect that someone else will fix everything.

I think it was CASAs original intent that they could make it all safer by going 'yankee' but the state of flying training in Australia over the last 10 years or so has seen it deteriorate to such a low level by CASA that it may beyond salvation until the next tragedy and we have another 'great idea'.

Sorry folks, but the proposed changes for June 3 just will not solve the problem of rubbish oversight, rubbish attitudes by SOME Flight Instructors, the refusal by a lot of pilots to read NOTAMs and otherwise thoroughly prepare for a flight and the seemingly common attitude by a lot of pilots that I should fly like I drive; full of aggression and 'get out my way' itis. It is extremely easy to teach someone to fly an aircraft but it is not easy to teach someone to be a pilot. Heck, what would I know after 35 years of flying? Just my thoughts.
CASA, June 3 is not the answer.