PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near midair over SFO
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 07:40
Pera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloggs,

My post was about the classification of the incident, not a judgement of the severity or otherwise. Ideally a 777 should not be subject to an RA at A015. Surely we can do better than that.

A 'separation breakdown' is where ATC failed. In this case the responsibility for separation was assigned to and accepted by the C182.

Once separation was assigned, the C182 was required to remain clear of the 777. It must be understood though that whenever visual separation is assigned to a pilot that by definition the aircraft are going to be close together. If they aren't then another standard would exist ie radar or TWR visual separation.

I agree with malcolmf that ATC may have been able to do a better job but it's really hard to say without knowing the culture and local procedures. My comments are based on the broad principles of ATC, not the specifics which this post doesn't address adequately. Maybe ATC would have been in trouble for delaying the C182 when a visual separation standard was available.

I would classify this incident as an AIRPROX or FAILURE TO FOLLOW ATC INSTRUCTIONS.

And I never joke about safety...

Last edited by Pera; 9th Apr 2010 at 07:43. Reason: to add alternate possible classifications.