PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 00:16
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
QF72 AoA versus cL Graph

Thanks for that link, HN39.

Still getting my head round the detail of the graph but, in the light of the discussion some of us had (starting with #523/Mar16th & #537/Mar21st, and concluding here with #558/Mar23rd), it's interesting that they seem to have derived Alpha (AoA) from their stated equation:

" alpha = pitch - fpa "

We have already discussed the possible limitations of this presumption; specifically in rapidly moving air (vertically or horizontally).

I was under the impression that a direct reading of AoA would be recorded elsewhere; either on the DFDR or the QAR, or both; but don't have a list of their parameters to hand. AoA certainly used to be available in real time via the AIDS system on the A320, and it would be strange if that was not recorded and/or transmitted on ACARS. The fact that the QF72 recorders were, presumably, in pristine condition makes one wonder if they will do any better for AF447, when the DFDR is found? The QAR is unlikely to have survived intact.

Who produced the graph, I wonder?

Chris

Last edited by Chris Scott; 9th Apr 2010 at 00:29. Reason: Last paragraph added.