PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling in a turn
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2010, 21:58
gpn01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash one
If this level turn is balanced it would indicate that some power & trim had been applied to maintain this balance. If the turn is balanced the aircraft must be travelling at a constant airspeed. Therefore although the outer wing is describing a greater diameter than the inner wing, the two wings are balanced by nose up trim & power+. How can the a/c stall in such a balanced condition? & why would the outer (faster) wing stall first in the unlikely event that the laws of physics have been broken?
I have set my Emeraude up in a balanced level turn & taken the hand off the stick to take photographs, it takes a bit of care to get it balanced well enough & ensure it is going to stay there, but not a problem. I must try it one day to see how long it will stay balanced before it falls over!
Oh dear, is power really needed for a balanced turn ? That's me screwed in my glider then ;-(. Being serious, constant speed can be achieved by attitude and not just throttle. Furthermore a wing stalls when the critical AoA has been reached and this is expresssed as AoA relative to airflow not necessarily direction of travel. Also a wing is 'stalled' when the drag it generates exceeds the lift it's generating. So, it's entirely possible for a wing that's travelling physically faster (but with a higher AoA) to be generating an excess of drag over lift than the 'slower' wing. Throw in the square rule for lift and drag and you'll see that any situation where drag > lift is further exacerbated by speed!