PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'No blame' Over RAF Tornado Crash
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2010, 20:21
Ivan Rogov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not from a FJ background or a driver, but....

From what I have read about this tragic event, it is not too dissimilar from other fleets issues. Our currency was X hours per quarter, then the hours were reduced, then dropped all together and replaced by flights (profile not important). Then people started to use the term keeping current, unthinkable and not an issue a few years ago!
Luckily most of us recognised that it wasn't X hours or X flights which would keep us alive but a healthy mix of competency, experience and supervision, and we made sure we squeezed every training opportunity out of every sortie.
Also the message came down loud and clear from the top that safety was the absolute priority regardless of any perceived pressures.

What I'm getting at is that currency is just a number, it is the absolute minimum (from what I have seen) and not a target to achieve, if you are regularly just achieving it then alarm bells should be going off.
Content is also very important, 5 hours of quality training is better than 50 hours of transits.