PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'No blame' Over RAF Tornado Crash
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2010, 17:01
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Squidlord:
It's a Military Aviation Authority (despite the letter of Haddon-Cave's recommendation). And if you look at its web page, you'll see it is concerned with safety as well as airworthiness.
Well I'm banged to rights and no mistake, guv'nor! I dunnit, I dunnit, I dunnit, it's a fair cop and no mistake! Don't think I can get away with a "Well done, I wondered who'd spot that first, but it might be worth a try...in the meantime thanks for the correction, Squidlord.
While we're discussing this organisation's title, perhaps we can now consider the word "Authority". So here we go again:
"authority, n; The power or right to control, judge or prohibit the actions of others"
So the MAA could indeed have dealt with this accident, whether or not it involved the airworthiness of the aircraft. Suppose it decided that a prime cause was the lack of flying continuity of the crew? Could it insist that this be subject to, say, a minimum of 15 hours a month? Could it enforce that? What would it do if, despite its ruling, 15 hours a month were not flown subsequently? In other words, how much authority has this Authority?