PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 8th Apr 2010, 15:55
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The latest from BASSA

CLARITY ON UNITE/BASSA POSITIONApr 8th, 2010 by admin

I posted this on the forum this morning but in case you missed it -

Just to clarify a few things.

Any "deal" that TW may think he has secured from BA will be put to a full postal ballot of you the membership. YOU have the final say.

TW held informal talks with BA that only got off the ground on Good Friday - they were conducted by telephone. He knew we had arranged to meet him on Wednesday and I am quite relaxed that he waited until all reps were at Holborn before briefing us all together. Like the UNITE press release said there are still substantial obstacles.

Tony Woodley then asked us (not told us) if he could have some more time before announcing dates.

Things are delicately balanced and to have announced - what might have to be announced next week ie a lengthy strike - would dash ANY hope of reconciliation. It was a fair request.

As the strike has already been validated and we are no longer having to go out within the previous 28 day time frame so the reps were prepared to give TW the courtesy of a little time.

Whether or not we like or fully trust UNITE is not really the issue right now - the time for Spanish Inquisitions is not during a dispute. UNITE are the only game in town, they hold the key to the safe (yes I know it is your money in that safe) and as such it is wise that a good relationship is maintained. TW and I have had our share of differences but I am putting that behind me while we have bigger battles to fight and I know he feels the same way. At the end of the talks - he may think we have a good deal, we may not but you will be the ultimate. judge.

To use words like "disgust" on the forum in reaction to yesterday’s announcement is inappropriate and unhelpful during these tense times. I don’t think your BASSA reps have let you down so far; right from the first day WE exposed Columbus to you all, we have been consistent and delivered industrial action very much against the odds (the media, the governemt and the judiciary are all formidable opponents), so please bear with us. We are in the same boat as you after all, the only difference being we shoulder more accountability.

Thank you for reading this far - sincerely hope you can take some of what I say onboard. There is much water to flow under the bridge let’s not waste too much water trying to unnecessarily swim upstream just yet. (By now you will have gathered I like a metaphor or two).

Regards

Duncan