PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do they teach flying instructors these days?
Old 8th Apr 2010, 09:27
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're doing steep turns, you'll be at or around cruise speed, the ailerons will be nice and effective, and if you need to take avoiding action, the aircraft will respond better, so you can go straight into them without doing a "turn before you turn" as previously mentioned.
Would it not be safer to check that there is no traffic first and threby improve the chances of not having to take avoiding action / disrupt the lesson.

I would hope that most instructors will use a few warm-up turns by the student to have a good look round the chosen training area and position the aircraft for the exercise. However, while we are (I hope) doing these actions automatically, the student needs a clearly defined process whereby you can mitigate against the posibility of them doing solo steep turns at 1000ft with traffic all round or as is more often the case - at 3000ft scrubbing the cloudbase and drifting into regulated airspace.

---------

One of the biggest areas in which the system as whole if also failing is in training students in decision making - preflight. I have sen cases where students complete the whole course and never make a decision as to the suitability fo the weather and can even fly for some time thereafter as a PPL with the same situation.

They ring the school at 0900 and ask the "are we flying today?" question to which they get a yes or no answer. This situation of the school / instructor deciding if it is good enough to fly continues right through to the test and beyond if they stay with the same school.

This can have a number of endings - they make a decision at an away field which frightens them and they give up or worse they kill themselves.

Often these pilots go on to be instructors and I have seen how much they struggle as instructors with making basic go/nogo decisions.

The fact that the decision making / human factors element of the course is brushed over does not help at all.

Since the decision making ability of most people turning up to complete an FI or CRI course is very poor, we need to ensure that instructors are trained and tested to improve this both during the course and (in the case of the FI) in the post course training.