PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somewere nice and warm to spot aircraft Please.
Old 7th Apr 2010, 18:05
Tarman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not a Plane Spotter, but I am interested in aircraft and have a PPL(H).

I have a number of mates that are serious spotters and travel extensively in pursuit of their hobby. I know that they have, recently, had personal tours of both civil and military airfields in Europe and the USA. They visit America around the time of the Superbowl just to see all of the visiting Bizjets and regularly park around the perimeter of most civil airfields using binoculars, a scanner, a laptop and SBS equipment.
They have been spoken to countless times by Cops and Security guards but they have never been moved on or threatened with arrest. Why ?

Because they are street wise and know how to speak to people.
They contact the military sites well in advance and state their intentions / requests in time for checks to be conducted.
They don’t have a “ who do you think you are talking to” attitude.
They are “normal blokes” who like “normal bloke” things. (some were even parents at a young age)

The paragraph were you referred to your peers as alcoholic, junkies that reproduce at the age of 16 tells me a lot about your attitude and social skills.

Try not to look down your nose at people who maybe don’t understand your hobby. It will work wonders for you.

Enjoy you spotting