PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'No blame' Over RAF Tornado Crash
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2010, 16:18
engineer(retard)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airworthiness

Chug, Tuc & S/W

I have sat and read your posts, finding myself nodding in agreement with you all. For me, JSP553 details the hurdle which has to be jumped to demonstrate that the platform is fit for purpose. I have never seen the safety case revisited post MAR to a significant level of scrutiny unless driven by a significant formal design change. Consider the changes made when aircraft are being operated under theatre pressures. Since GW1, the pressure from operations has been sustained on various aircraft types that are carrying out roles and profiles that were not considered at the outset of the aircrafts life.

The safety case of a design is often underpinned by various assumptions that change or may prove to be invalid in service, again I have never seen the assumptions re-visited or even considered in light of significant support cuts. You can achieve airworthiness but I feel that the through life maintenance of the safety case is a nettle that has never been firmly grasped, not through any lack of competence but purely due to complexity, cost and manning.

regards

retard