PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air-Refuelling Systems Advisory Group 2010
Old 7th Apr 2010, 12:29
BenThere
Hardly Never Not Unwilling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally experienced an autopilot disconnect caused by a KC-10s erratic and excessive closure.

Based on the tone of the boom operator's screaming, "Breakaway", and my own assessment of the moment of the tail's abrubt dropout, I elected to firewall the TF-33 throttles in order to get out of there. On the Bus, I would have gotten maybe 94% by jamming the throttles to TOGA. On the -135 I got probably 104%.

Because of the overboost, all engines had to be boroscoped, and two of them turned out to be shelled. It was one of those situations where I either had to be fired or given a medal. Because the boom operator stated we would have had, and missed by inches, a mid-air collision had I not firewalled, I got the medal. Possibly, and arguably, had I been flying an airbus that day, I might not be here to write this post.

Perhaps that single experience colors my take on the lack of FADEC override on the Bus and its impact on operations; and if I had your pleasant experience of never needing all available control, I might see it your way, but for me it is what it is.