PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somewere nice and warm to spot aircraft Please.
Old 7th Apr 2010, 11:48
G-BHEN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was parked up on the verge, completely off the road. LGW

Lowfield Heath Road, 100m south of the extended centre line of RWY 08R.

BAA 4x4 drives past, stops, rolls down window and tells me I'm not allowed to be there. Does he have the right to tell me I'm not allowed to be there? The spotters standing there were fine but I wasn't? Made my blood boil!
I have been moved on from there before with the car, but the police were very polite. He told me to drive 500 yards up the road and park in the big layby opposite the pub and walk back, which I did.

As long as you don't answer back and get funny, they are always polite back. I get really annoyed when you see some people giving it attitude "it's my right to be here" - just move on and get on with it. You don't have a right to be there and you get everybody a bad name.

I've never had any problem outside of London. I've spent ages chatting to the police as they come round at Manchester - so polite. They appreciate us being there a lot of the time and security always wave as they drive past.

Birmingham is the same really - it went a little bad when a new security firm took over, but they are very accepting now. Doncaster is the same as Manchester really.

East Midlands - well it depends on what day you catch them. They don't always like you standing on the mound - but if there's only one of you they don't object. When they see a huge group with stepladders and things - they move you on (and in a co-incidence a police car usually follows 10 minutes later, just to make sure you've gone). But there is rarely anything at EMA worth hanging around for anyway, especially during the daytime.

Only been moved on once at LHR, and that was by a big armoured Landrover. I wasn't hanging about, they didn't even speak to me - just drove past several times before pulling up very close behind me and putting his flashing lights on. I took the hint and shifted on :-p To be fair I was in my car in a bus stop