PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Flying Trg System - How good
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2002, 00:58
Mowgli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been wondering for a while now when we will have a modern cockpit display Hawk. Some of our guys (whenever I say guys that means girls too, OK?) are doing their AFTS (FJ) in Canada and they're flying Hawks with HUDs etc which is the way ahead for our jets at Valley IMHO. If they can build in similar systems to Typhoon, so much the better. Having said that, if you can hit the target with an iron sight, your understanding of what you're doing will stand you in good stead when using a computed sight, but with the reliability of the kit now fitted in the FJs it's a minor advantage compared with the importance of being comfortable with technology.

On the subject of ME training, I agree with those who would bring back a group 2 system. My BFTS QFI was a Kipper fleet driver, and his formation flying, low level and aeros were all very credible and I was fortunate that he was also an excellent instructor. He of course, had been the product of a system which demanded he be taught all the basic disciplines before he went to ME trg. The current system would disadvantage him as a potential Tucano QFI and make it far less likely for him to achieve a FJ crossover if he so wished.

How much formation practice has a new co had when he joins a shiney jet OCU now?