PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airfield Blacklist?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2010, 19:29
Capn Kangaroo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone said Elstree. Mick's bite is far worse than his bark, Actually he's a great bloke and I won't have many words said against him! (known the daft b***er for years and he is a really good sort.)
Sadly I've been there when he's chewed out a newly qualified young lady pilot, (very very low hours) because she made a simple mistake on the radio ... he shouted at her so loudly that you could hear her welling up in the cockpit, all of this was inside 2 mile final

I think she handled the landing well, but it could have gone so badly wrong for her

I've also heard him on the radio shouting "EVERYONE SHUT UP" when trying to request radio silence to deal with what turned out to be a radio failure on an inbound aircraft ... now I don't think that's particularly standard phraseology

Personally, I've voted with my feet and gone to Denham where the RT is relaxed and friendly, oh and the circuits are considerably smaller .. I now even base my aircraft there. Its about 2 minutes further to drive, but tbh the service is 200% better so its definitely worth it!

I've seen several letters of complaint raised by tenants at the airfield over the years complaining about professionalism of radio / etc .. so far to date Mr Holder seems to not care (although I do appreciate finding anyone patient enough to sit on the radio at a "small" aerodrome has got to be difficult so they're probably going to find it hard to replace him if they tried)