PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying under Thames bridges
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2010, 18:08
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm nothing to do with Tangmere Museum, but if you should visit it ( allow plenty of time, there's a LOT to see ) as well as the 'simulator' giving one the chance to fly the Hunter through Tower bridge and with a little practice - it starts at a couple of thousand feet to the East - keep a heading of 273 degrees ( I didn't have the time or brains to work out if that's magnetic or true,but it's at the top of the screen, use the contour of the Thames as a guide.

Once used to it ( remember the Tangmere sim' is on a strict time limit, so you'll only get another go during quiet times ) it's possible to go through at full throttle - any Hunter pilots out there, if you try it would you agree the IAS is rather high ? - ignoring the overspeed alarm as it's only a game, then one has the choice of carrying straight on - a little higher ! For a South Easterly approach and landing at Northolt - tight on time - or looping straight after the bridge and then London City Airport is straight ahead.

From the latter it doesn't take Einstein to deduce it's based on Microsoft Flight Sim 2004.

The Tangmere add-on is available for £10.00 at the museum, it features Chipmunks, Lysanders, Hurricanes, Speed record reheated Hunter WB188 etc too but of course you need the F.S.2004 as well.

I'm not a particular sim' nut but I do find a force-feedback 'joystick' is well worthwhile, one can assign hand-on button & rotary controls for throttle, gear, flaps, outside view etc; it even trembles as one trundles across grass - well it does the trick for me but maybe that's too much information...

Inflamatory comments removed. You've made your opinions well known in other threads. No need to do it yet again. Anyone interested may do a search for them but the Mods have no desire to referee another urinating contest.

The Mods

Last edited by Double Zero; 6th Apr 2010 at 18:28.