PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do they teach flying instructors these days?
Old 6th Apr 2010, 18:02
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take your point on the 'turn before a turn' and the HASELL check.

I must admit this idea has varied between the instructors/examiners I have met.

My policy is to turn to look around the general area, rather than a specific 'clearing turn'.

However, I do it as a part of a HASELL check even if the rate of turn is more of a general look-see than a positive clearing turn as would be carried out before stalling/spinning.

I still think it's best to survey the general area rather than launch straight into a steep turn, even if you do look immediately before, during and after the turn.

One point that was made earlier is the question of standardisation of instructional technique. I think this is neglected by CFIs and senior instructors. It's de rigueur in airlines to have standard SOPs and so it should be within flying schools.

Maybe this is one issue that could be addressed and would help to maintain standards as well as ensure effective instruction. Many students I have flown with have varied so much in what they have been taught with too much variation in technique within the same training organisation. I know it all takes time and is a pain - but I can't remember the last 'instructor meeting' I attended where standards and policies were discussed (this tends to be a problem where a number of part-time instuctors are employed).

KR

FOK