PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Telephoto lens - Stabilised or not?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2010, 17:21
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the bad old days, when shots like that above were simply impossible, there was a simple rule for air-air shots.

Hasselblad 500CM, NC90 viewfinder, Kodak VPS negative film slightly pushed from 125 to 200 ASA ( it didn't mind at all ) and if in bright conditions or above cloud, it was rare to vary from F8 at 500th; the angle of dangle and focus ( yes, getting below infinity was common ), and things like pointing the thing were foremost.

This is assuming - A word I hate ! - that one has already sorted out the met' forecast, cloud layer re. the altitude you and subject aircraft will both be happy with, and direction of sunlight re. time of day ( always allowing for inevitable delays of one kind or another ).

The time of day thing is usually ( restrictions etc ) more important for air to ground shots, as I've found houses even less happy to go around and take up a suitable heading than some aircraft I've known !

I would have liked to use transparency film but BAe Kingston couldn't handle it ( or quite possibly they didn't want me from Dunsfold getting good results, there was a lot going on behind the scenes, resulting in one head of dept' there being politely shown the door ).

I notice John Dibbs' excellent work is / was on transparency, besides the ' luxury ' of his own converted B-25 camera platform - don't know if he still has it, I'd have thought operating costs must be horrendous - though if money were no object it sounds terrific fun, and I'm aware he uses other more economical aircraft too.

I've always wondered what camera kit he uses, I've been in a position - a while ago now, 1994-ish - to see he was using transparency film at that time.

Last edited by Double Zero; 20th Apr 2010 at 13:57.