PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post skills test, GPS and things!!
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2002, 22:35
paulo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do way too little a to b. One little tip that has worked for me was to keep 'current' on radio nav by playing sim.

I walked away from my PPL pass with almost no instinctive ability to nav by VORs etc, but after a few weeks zero pressure evenings messing around with MS flight sim, I was quite happy to make a trip to somewhere I'd never been and fly off the navaids.

Added to that, correlating the radio nav with the mark one eyeball is very reassuring, and I got a sense of achievement and situational control that I know I wouldn't get from a single source of nav.

There's better Radio nav sims than MS, but it gets you 90% of the way there, and unlike the 'pure' radio nav trainers you can give yourself some simulated extra workload of flying the plane. (it's nothing like real flying obviously, but gives you the idea of juggling a few things in your mind at once.)

(I'm not a purist - I love my Pilot III - but despite my reservations about my nav skills, I've never had to use it as a primary and feel quite proud about that.)

Sorry. Strayed off topic somewhat. Why is palindrome not spelt the same backwards?

Last edited by paulo; 15th Jul 2002 at 22:40.