PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Vic aero club warrior crash landing Moorabbin Airport
Old 6th Apr 2010, 16:45
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eocvictim
No fixed wing aircraft should be below 1000ft tracking into MB by day in VMC. It takes 30 seconds to read the plate before posting.
Fair enough if you can’t do circling approaches by day in VMC. My location may indicate I don’t have available to me easily a set of DAPS. Looking at DAPS online only reveals:
• RNAV (GNSS) RWY 17L isn’t available for training.
• NDB-A has special procedures to be followed in VMC.
• GPS Arrival Procedures have no restrictions.
ERSA though does mention that entry to the zone should be at 1000 ft. PaulDamian mentioned that quite a few of these occurrences happened on cloudy days:
On quite a few cloudy days, they seem to think that 200-250ft agl is just simply o.k.
If this is the case then VMC conditions may not have existed and aircraft inbound to YMMB were probably conducting instrument approaches. Whether a circling approach would be required would depend on what approaches were being flown, the aircraft fit out, the pilots qualifications and currency.

Finally, I have been in this business since 1986 and I couldn’t tell you if an aircraft was at 200, 250 or 300 feet if I saw it. PaulDamian could use the webtrack software as you have suggested but my guess is that it will tell him the aircraft were at 350 ft + amsl.

Last edited by 404 Titan; 6th Apr 2010 at 17:53.