PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your take-home pay at the end of the month?
Old 6th Apr 2010, 16:44
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yr 10 SFO big UK Charter. MFF min 10days off a month, good package inc. pension LOL Medical, good lifestyle by industry standards, take home c.3900 GBP/month, command on the horizon, no major complaints, but.....

with ref.to the guy who was thinking of a career change. Personally, having started flying late in life, I wouldn;t do it, if I had the choice again. I bitterly miss and regret not having a normal lifestyle, like being off at weekends and able to lead a normal social life. Your domestic life can suffer too if the missus marries a guy who she expects would be home at normal times, but then isn't. I hear this complaint from many middle aged pilots.
Bearing in mind the terrible financial sacrifice that is required to get into the industry now, to me, its a no brainer, study hard and take up one of the many well paid professions and have normal life. I'm actively discourageing my kids from following me. Daughter fancies being a GP, 150k a year, job security, fs pension, respect from your fellow man, Ok youv'e got to look at some pretty awful bodies, but for that money....!