PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 7
Thread: Ryanair - 7
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2010, 15:31
MUFC_fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They aren't 'steeping to new lows' as this has just been set by Spirit airlines in the US:

Spirit Airlines to charge up to $45 for carry-on bags in overhead bin starting Aug. 1 | Markets | Market News | Canadian Business Online

However, Ryanair really are trying to push passengers into using simply on board luggage and I can understand perfectly why:

Reduces ground costs
Reduces turnaround times
Reduces fuel use:

69.5m passengers
82% load factor
30% passengers put baggage in the hold
15kg limit

=256,455,000kg maximum carried per year with check baggage (assuming all bags are 15kg). I'm sure if they lost that weight they would be very pleased! Even if it brings in at the moment the same in €s!

You've got to laugh - they're complaining that a €10 departure tax in Ireland will prevent people from flying - what about a €5 increase in luggage charges?

And please, no Ryanair apologists saying to travel with hand luggage only; on a two week holiday it can't be done.
There is a clear difference which is something Ryanair continue to try and get across to the more, how can I put this, 'straight-forward minded' - is that a good way of putting it?

Anyway, the DAA charge is compulsory - you have no choice whatsoever. The Ryanair charge is very much an option - and they very much want you to turn them down! They want you to say no and fly without them! They save, you save!

Your right - two weeks probably cannot be done with 10kg luggage, however lets look at the facts - Ryanair's passenger numbers continue to rise - the DAA...a story for another day...