PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SLF Can you give me your opinion Please
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2010, 15:18
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Thanks GW for that update and the PM (replied). Of course, you might be bluffing (Sry could not resist ) but here is my reply:

Where I am aware of low hours crew that are paying their way - I do not travel on that carrier. I think that it's a dangerous path and, as I have said in other threads, the whole airline biz has reached a comfortable plateau of safety - so that the next move can only be down.

It is human nature to improve things and then get complacent, EVERY company and govt and most individuals get to this point. The saftey record will go down in any number of ways but they ALL lead back to money.
  • Scrimping on training
  • Cutting back on flight crew numbers
  • Making all crew work longer hours
  • Have computers take control of too much planning and not enough seat-of-the-pants
  • Ignore how much weight is carried on and put in the overheads that will rain down on pax
  • Assume that, since it went right the last 1000 times, it will go right this time (The Normalization of Deviance, I think it is called, just remember the Space Shuttle)
  • Allow drunk pax on board, keep folks cooped up/strapped in so that tempers flare
  • The list is endless
But, as another said, money is all and pax - even if given the data - will not respond in enough numbers. As long as their ticket on this trip was cheap and they got there - then it's OK. It isn't.

I could add to the thread about the benefits of being part of the forum - that I now know more about carriers that have poor practice.