PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Vic aero club warrior crash landing Moorabbin Airport
Old 6th Apr 2010, 10:59
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eocvictim

VMC was a slip of the tongue. You knew what I meant.

Regarding the 250ft v 300ft. Are you kidding me? If you can tell the difference between an aircraft at these two heights in just a few seconds because that is all the time you would see them then you are better than me. PaulDamian has made a statement that these aircraft he saw were at 200 – 250 ft agl. I have put it to him that they were most likely at 300 ft agl conducting circling approach training during daylight hours and maintaining visual separation from obstacles in the circling area. It is a requirement that it is taught and it is a requirement that it is checked.

As for knowing YMMB and the problems associated with doing circling approaches when it is VMC, it isn’t any more of a problem then any other GAAP/class C or D aerodrome when it is busy. If you were referring to terrain and obstacles, for any pilot that is familiar with the airport, i.e. industrial areas to the south and east, rising terrain to the east, etc etc it shouldn’t be an issue either.