PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near midair over SFO
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2010, 08:46
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
There are two general divisions on the "meaning" of this incident.

While generalizations are not always helpful, I believe it is reasonable to say that pilots who have grown up with the US system, or of foreign pilots who have considerable experience of and understand the system ( such as 411A and myself) regard this as the system working, not a failure of the system.

The other group, not understanding the system, and in this case including some Australian pilots who, with a complete lack of understanding of the system, of experience in the system or the whole basis of FAA risk management ----- regard this incident with shock/horror, bordering on the end of civilization as we know it.

So, who is right???

The only answer to this can come from all the published and easily available safety statistics, from NTSB, from the Australian ATSB, and the equivalents in Canada, NZ, and the European Community countries.

The fact of air safety outcomes is clear, in all categories bar one (gliding) the US system produces the world's best air safety outcomes ---- and this includes mid air collision rates.

What so many non-us pilots or commentators cannot get their minds around is the sheer volume of aviation in the US, in all categories, compared to the rest of the world. Likewise, the whole idea of equitable access to airspace by all potential users is completely "foreign" to non-US pilots.

I don't intend to present any studies to justify my statement, because I don't need to, all the information is publicly available and easily accessible. Suffice to say, a very recent study of collision rates in Australia v. US (again excluding gliders) has only confirmed previous studies, Australia fares unfavourably, compared to the US.

Unfortunately, national pride and anti-US prejudice all too often colors what should be a dispassionate examination of air safety outcomes, and the same pride and prejudice seriously inhibits many countries from adopting the lessons learned (often the hard way) in the US.

Tootle pip!!

PS: A colleague of mine, a well known Australian aviation lawyer, has just had a flying holiday in US. He had never previously flown there, other than as an airline passenger. Prior departure, he didn't really believe what I said about how easy it would be. He and several friends flew a C-206 VFR from San Jose clear across the country, via a northern route, back via a southern route.

Months later, he still hasn't come down off a high, don't anybody try telling him the US system doesn't work and is dangerous.

Last edited by LeadSled; 6th Apr 2010 at 14:46.