PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Detrimental effects of media coverage (QF)
Old 6th Apr 2010, 05:16
psycho joe

Location: shivering in the cold dark shadow of my own magnificence.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have experienced 2 de-laminations and I re iterate they are in 90% of cases a non event. Next time you get the chance talk to a PPG aerospace (the windshield manufacturer) engineer ask him about de-laminations. The only layer that is structural is the inside layer so if you cant feel cracks on the inside it is still structurally sound. The other potential safety concern is obscured vision.... hardly a worry on a side window......
I've also suffered delaminations as well as a shattered window in flight, and I know how the windows work.

My point was simply that I'm happy for all and any non-normal events (such as this) being reported, simply so that:

1. The general public understand that these machines can, do, & will break. And if the flight is delayed as a result it's not because we're all too lazy to go flying on time; and

2. The general public understand that we pilots do more for our wage than mindlessly watch the plane fly itself, sip latte's, and shag lingerie models.

The problem as i see it is not so much bad journalism (although that's certainly true) but lousy PR people who throw out glib one liners instead of an accurate and articulate press release, in the hope that giving as little info as possible will make the news article go away. Of course it only makes it worse because it looks like the company has something to hide.

example:
There was no safety issue at any stage – Boeing 747 aircraft can fly normally on three engines," Qantas said in a statement.
Well thank god for Boeing, FAA certification & dumb luck.

I don't wish to pick on QANTAS PR specifically but they seem to be the most prolific at this. It seems to me that if PR people could follow a simple pro-forma like:

1. confirm airline
2. confirm aircraft type
3. confirm location
4. give a brief (accurate) description of problem
5. give a brief description of how the crews achieved a short term resolution
6. give a brief description of long term resolution and if necessary why the event wasn't a near death experience.

Then the quality of reporting would be somewhat improved. It would also cut down on the expert opinion of some pax sittiing in the back who would obviously know more about what happened than the crew.