PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adious Nimrod R1, all welcome the older Rivet Joint?
Old 5th Apr 2010, 23:55
Lima Juliet

Received 83 Likes on 34 Posts
JN

Unfortunately, some of your sources seem dubious. For example,

I am told that even using the MRA4 development aircraft as 'flatbeds', rolling on the existing R1 mission kit (Tigershark for Comint and the Marlborough Comms Elint suite),
I'm afraid that most of what you talk of would require the cutting of metal - hardly "roll on, roll off" that your source is indicating. Just take a look at some (open source) pictures of the R1 compared to MRA4 and see how many antenna holes you would need to cut for starters!

Nimrod R1

Nimrod MRA4

As ever, in aviation, if it only it were as simple as you've been told

From my time at Waddington, I believe there is/was a lot of bad feeling within EWAD that may be jaundicing your source's viewpoint (people who had been there for years and enjoyed what they're doing - if you catch my drift?).

The RJ is a very good deal, it allows us to keep a Sovereign capability (albeit US made - just like E-3D), it continues to buy us into a very select group of collectors and most of all it provides heaps of capability to ours and the Coalition's Forces where its needed.

LJ