PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Come to EK; fly 64hrs in 10days, do 2 polar crossings & cross 48 time zones
Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:53
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yankee22

Thanks for the civilized answer.

I can appreciate where you're coming from and take your valid points. Some here seem to make it more of a personal focus on ME rather than US. I'm sure (no doubt) many are ragged flying long haul expecially in conflicting directions. Fleet managers and VPs of Flight Ops AND more importantly, one of the industry leading Flight Safety Programs, Director of Flight Safety should be all over this like ugly on a pig, in a big way. BBBBBBiiiiiig way. Who's beating his ears?

I just wonder if discouraging interested parties from joining EK is to your collective benefit. I shouldn't think it is.
Additional crew would seem a quicker fix by the sound of things. I've been with carriers where fellow line pilots wind you up and when large numbers are frothing at the mouth with anger, resign in a huff, make a lateral move, only to see their mates lot in life improve once they're gone. I'm not sure that's the solution most seek. A lot of pilots you're working with probably hope many resign but only for their personal gain. To what extent or degree is this hype a wind up? Calling in tired is legitimate. Ask your FSO, FM, or VP FOps. I trust they hold valid licences and understand the medical facts for pilots we all studied when we were working on our PPLs? You can't be a world leader in training and safety if you don't practice what you preach. Right?

What I'm reading here, many are making lateral moves and not actually improving their lot in life. Remember, this industry still sucks so the number of airlines out there who actually like what you do, is very limited and few in number. So, at the end of the day, what's the perfect solution?
Spend as much time on the Jumeirah beach as possible or the Hilton.

The image EK is trying to display for sales and marketing purposes has a priority over who does what and how many they may have to do the work required. I can appreciate both sides of this. I much prefer the pilot side because they're the ones who actually move the bus from A to B and if too many decide to move buses elsewhere, EK S&M will be crying in their beer sooner than they think.

What's interesting though, is the battle EK HR must be having on the pilot recruitment side of all this.

Willie