PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI(A) issue requirements
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:46
BillieBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DFC - You clearly do not understand the relationship between JAR-FCL, the Authority and the industry. Having been directly involved in gaining various FTO and TRTO approvals over the last 15 years or so, I do.
JAR-FCL 1.335 specifies the requirements to be met before starting the course.....
....and in each case the specific experience requirement is prefaced by the words 'at least'.

JAR-FCL lays down the agreed minimum requirements for approval of a course or for the issue of a licence or rating. The Authority, which itself cannot set any higher minimum requirements than those agreed by the JAA, is charged with examining any submission for course approval and ensuring that it meets all of the minimum requirements. If an FTO or TRTO submits a course whose pre-entry requirements meet or exceed the laid down minima and is in all other respects compliant with the requirements, the Authority has no choice but to approve that course. Consequently, if I submit an FI course for approval that includes all of the pre-entry requirements laid down in JAR-FCL and, in addition, requires the applicant to have a minimum of 200 hours experience post licence issue, it will be approved.

For example, a few years ago I was involved in the preparation of a submission for a SP turbojet type rating course on behalf of a well known TRTO whose management did not wish to take on any student who did not hold at least a CPL with at least 500 hours flight experience. These requirements, both well in excess of the JAA minima, were accepted without question by the UK CAA and the course was approved.

Similarly, the design of the course is up to me, provided that it meets the minimum requirements of JAR-FCL. In the case of the FI(A) course, AMC FCL 1.340 offers some guidance on the construct of the course and its content but how that is arranged into a practical curriculum is up to me to decide and to declare in the relevant Training Manual. Provided that the resulting course covers all of the syllabus items and comprises a minimum of 125 hours ground and 30 hours flight training, it will be approved.

That being the case, your insulting, and somewhat childish comments regarding the pre-entry flight test and comparison with a driving instructor are as irrelevant as they are ill-informed.

timtucker - EASA's stated intention is to de-restrict the market to a ridiculous degree. Under current plans, it will be possible for a candidate to select an examiner, for any flight test, from anywhere in Europe. The result will, of course, be that any examiner who sets other than the lowest standards, will find himself out of business as everyone flocks to the 'easiest' touch.