PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Really worried (Class 1 Medical Question)
Old 15th Jul 2002, 18:38
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a legal requirement to inform the CAA medical department if you are unable to fulfil the requirements of your class 1 medical within 20 days (could be 21). Failure to notify them could result in a prosecution when (not if) they find out.
Nearly 3 years ago, I was involved in an RTC (used to be called RTA) where my lower leg was severed, my urethra severed, my pelvis cracked and right arm nerves dislocated.
I informed the CAA, they send out a standard letter: " you are not allowed to practice the priviliges of your licence until we receive notification from the AME that you are fit again.." letter.
You go away, get physio , constantly annoy your AME with requests for examinations, time passes and eventually they give you your class 1 back. I am now back to public transport flying.

There is no point in hiding it from your AME, he will ask awkward questions when you next go to see him for your class 1 (even after you have recovered).

Bite the bullet, be grateful you're still here and tell the appropriate authorities, then concentrate on getting better. Think positive.

There is no 'test flight' when you ask for your licence back. You tell the AME that you can fly full and free, he checks your body bits and voila your'e home dry...

Were you aviation insured??

Take care

Last edited by Thomas coupling; 15th Jul 2002 at 18:45.