PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do they teach flying instructors these days?
Old 5th Apr 2010, 07:05
BEagle

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
Turning to the bigger picture, I would like to shy away from too much standardisation. I don't want the CAA (or even my CFI) telling me that we should do crosswind landings one particular way; I don't want to be forced to use Point-and-Power; I don't want SCA to be the prescribed VFR navigation technique. I want to be able to show my student pilots all the various tools in the box and let him/her decide which ones they are going to use.
Absolutely NOT! Whichever techniques the school has decided upon, those should be taught to all its students. Standardisation is essential if the student is not to be totally confused and non-standard mavericks are the bane of a CFI's life. Of course point-and-power and SCA are so easy for the student that many dinosaurs don't trust them - but that's irrelevant in this thread.

Clearing turns before steep turns? Daft. Just a good l00kout before, during and after the turn.

MRTs on the buffet nibble? Most light spamcans don't have a decent buffet nibble, so it is very difficult to teach the practice, unless you have a Chipmunk or Bulldog to hand.