PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 things that annoy you in aviation.
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2010, 01:54
Pilot DAR

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Well, not so much hit a nerve.... if it is humour, so be it, no problem.

If, on the other hand, I am reading the posts of people who think it sufficent to (and I think the PPRuNe term is "whinge"), and then satisfy themselves that they've done their part to influence improved aviation, I would like to be seen to be encouraging a "better way".

Years ago, I was dis-satisfied with some expected Transport Canada (TC) policy. I went to public consultation meetings at their HQ in Ottawa, and spoke my peice. I was pleased and surprized to hear the meeting introduced by a top TC staff member saying "We're not all here to get what we want, we're here to get what we can live with".

Over the many years I attended these meetings, and during many other meetings, I found the process of developing regulations to be quite welcoming of the ideas of the users of aviation, at all levels. Did I always get what I wanted? Certainly not! Often I left with a much better understanding of another perspective, and why things had to be the way they were going to be. On the other hand, words I have written are now incorporated in Canadian regulation, because no one else had a better idea, and mine was accepted. One small voice can make a difference.

Yes, I think thoughts of dis-satisfaction about TC, the FAA, as well as some of my clients, and other aviators in general. I try to not fixate on it (but, yes, perhaps I protest too much).

I will use my modest position in PPRuNe to try to mentor my peers to have more positive thoughts about what we do. I read here moaning about "spam cans" - I own one, by choice, I love it! I read about students who dislike their instructors - well it happens, reason could be good or bad, work it out! And I read about pilots whose top of the list for dislike is the regulator. For heaven's sake, do your part to make it better, or suck it up!

As I have been told more than once here, the humour on PPRuNe should be interpreted as being UK based, and possibly mis understood on this side of the ocean. Thus I suppose I am a canary in the coal mine for the PPRuNe humour.

No rant, not protesting, just want to do my small part to stand up for the positive viewpoint.

I didn't do any aerobatics yesterday, haven't for a few weeks, but I did fly my very appreciated "spam can" down to the helicopter base, took a very nice Bell 206 out for an hour, and landed it in the lake several times(on purpose) - what fun!

I am so lucky to be able to fly as much and as freely as I do, and I appreciate it. I could find ways to whinge about it, by why would I? Why would any of us? I'm happy to tell people about how great flying is, I'm going to keep the whinging to a minimum...

But, I respect other viewpoints, so to each their own... slag on naysayers...