PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Comet' low over J18 on the M1 yesterday
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2010, 23:51
Noah Zark.

Ich bin ein Prooner.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H D,
I don't know when the DH88 last flew, but I remember I used to see the Nimrod AEW regularly on Friday afternoon/evenings going over my patch back to Woodford, and that was about mid-eighties.
I mention that because about that time, one summer-ish evening, I heard an aircraft sound that wasn't familiar with normal traffic hereabouts, and went outside to look, and, rapidly disappearing in the same direction as the Nimrod usually went, was an aircraft that I could only think of as the DH88, but such a thing was unheard of 'oop north'.
However, I had the idea to phone Old Warden, not knowing if anyone would still be there, as it was around 6-ish in the evening as I recall.
Luckily, someone answered. I put to them what I thought I had seen, and they said 'Yes, that's right, the Comet was en route to Woodford to take part in a Families Air day the following day.
So, I'm one of the lucky ones, I've seen it flying. As I said, my best memory is that it was mid-eighties.
I assume from your answer above that you know when the last flight took place. Are you going to let us in on it?