PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do they teach flying instructors these days?
Old 4th Apr 2010, 18:23
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And max rate on the nibble for getting out of trouble if you went up a Glen and had to turn back
I was taught that out in the States, as a "Canyon Turn"... but we rolled to about 60deg, dropped all the flaps if the speed allowed, nudged up the power and pulled. That was in a supercub, which didn't seem to mind all that much, and was one of the Chief Flight Instructor's party tricks, just to show what could be done. It may help one day, if you get it ingrained into muscle memory and carry out the maneuver if/when you need it... But, you shouldn't really have got yourself into such an awkward position in the first place should you??

I only ever had that one examiner that moaned about students doing it.
That's hardly surprising, as it's the kind of trick somebody is likely to do when showing off to their mates (if they are that way inclined). They learn at regular flight schools, doing all the usual boring stuff, then some high time hero (in their eyes) shows them this trick, so they go out with their mate and royally screw the whole thing up.

I'm all for teaching techniques above and beyond those required to pass a PPL skills test, and I think, for safety's sake, it would be better to develop these kinds of skills in pilot's in a well structured, well taught kind of a way. I was lucky to be taught by experienced, highly skilled aerobatic people, in aircraft suitable for the job... but many are not.
The main thing that shocks me to be honest, is that a lot of pilot's I've flown with, have no interest in learning such things, recovering from unusual attitudes, spinning, aerobatics... flying at minimum airspeed, steep turns, slipping... so what does that tell you?