PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do they teach flying instructors these days?
Old 4th Apr 2010, 17:56
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well there we go I was taught they were for avoidance and teach them with a sharpish coordinated turn in to 60deg AoB and a normal rate of roll out. The spiral dive recovery was for when they mucked it up and forgot to put the power on and/or let the nose drop in any turn. The rolling out on a heading was for avoiding action given by ATC. In further training on type ratings I have done them to 45 degrees as per FOM using similar techniques and have used it for real a couple of times. It just seems common sense to me that its a useful skill to have for any pilot. And if it isn't in the syllabus it should be. What are they emant to do use a 30deg AoB turn to get out of trouble?

The round a point thing I thought was a yank exercise?

And max rate on the nibble for getting out of trouble if you went up a Glen and had to turn back.

I only ever had that one examiner that moaned about students doing it.

I am quite happy to be proved wrong after all these years though and am quite happy to take Whopity's word for it.

Just shows though that there isn't much standardisation between FII's so what hope is there for Instructors being even remotely similar.