PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2010, 17:48
Mike Barry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are they?

I've also wondered where those 'dozens and dozens' of ATC who reckon that E is easier than C hang out in their spare time.
yes, c'mon......out yourselves!

Do what they do in some other parts of the globe...Class A above the transition level!! Woo-hoo!

We made do for years with A, C and F in Muscat...and then A, C and G in UAE. Never felt the need to use E...I agree with the statement, no E without surveillance...primary too, so you can see the little guys sneaking about not talking to anyone.

Mind you, several vodka and cokes into this missive, I will admit that I also liked the olden days before Dick's arrival...henceforth known as "BD", when there was just controlled and uncontrolled airspace and everyone seemed to get on just fine.
If the VFR dudes flew more than 50 miles from departure point they put in a plan, if they flew above 5000 they were full reporting, otherwise SARTIME or NOSAR.
I'm sure Dick could point out to everyone just how much money he has saved the industry since those days with all those changes.
Getting rid of flight Service was a great idea wasn't it? Now the ATCs do the same job, remotely, for way more salary and no offence to the guys/gals that are still doing it, but the old outstations had what no amount of technology can offset...local knowledge. But like Griffo, I'm just getting old and the mind starts to wander.