PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eva and China Airline
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2010, 16:55
Just another student

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have for a long time considered applying to EVA, mainly for the reasons listed below.

a) I assumed that they were a good employer and that the terms and conditions would be fair.

b) I would love the opportunity to operate within south east asia and EVA seem to have an excellent safety record and interesting route structure.

c) I have always wanted to fly the MD-11 and Eva offer one of few opportunities globally for an ex-pat to operate one.

Having read this thread however, those thoughts of applying have gone straight to the back of my mind. I fully appreciate the grass isn't greener etc but is Eva really that bad? It would seem a good opportunity for an FO to gain 4 years of good international ops experience and numerous heavy hours in the log book.

Nobody is 100% happy at any airline IMHO and all carriers have their faults, but as a current 737 FO who is looking to move onto heavier metal in the future, I am struggling to find anybody speaking positively about their companies, enough for me to want to take the plunge and send an application off. My current airline are a good bunch and I am lucky to be where I am, so I don't want to throw that away and spend years regretting doing so.

Its easy to say go to CX, but you only have to have a read of fragrant harbour and have a chat with some of their guys to see how their recruitment needs are being fulfilled.

Its probably too much of a risk to leave a permanent contract, for a fixed term, non-renewable (it seems) deal anyway (for a guy in my position).

Cheers

JAS