PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do they teach flying instructors these days?
Old 4th Apr 2010, 15:14
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be fair thats very rare.

A more common one is to shove the nose down when on the finals configuration on the stall warner activation.

The usual line during debrief is
I:Why did you apply forward control movement
P:I put the nose down to break the stall
I:But you wern't stalled.
P:But if I don't I will stall and spin in.
I:how can you spin in if you wern't stalled.
P!
I:What is this exercise meant to simulate?
P: Stalling on Finals.
I: Is it not meant to simulate approaching the stall on finals and reacting to the stall warner?
P: I don't know but thats what I was taught by xxxx and he has 10,000 hours of instructing.
Ik how much altitude did we loose?
P: err 150ft
I: So thats not very healthy if this happens at 100ft.

etc etc

It's the same with steep turns, folk are doing HASSEL checks before doing them. They then do the most beautiful coordinated turn into a just 45 deg turn you have ever laid eyes on, very slow roll in. Haven't a clue its an emergency avoidance exercise. When you demonstrate one properly they poo themselves which leads me to suspect they have never seen one demonstrated properly.

Same with examinors you get one that will come in and tell you "good to see a spirited well controlled steep turn" and another one will come up to you after the debrief and ask for a private word "The student was very vigorous rolling into there steep turn and said thats the way they were taught to do it. Is this correct." "yep and what was the roll out like?" "that was perfect and in future could you ensure that roll in is at the same rate" MJ wanders off thinking well thats you not getting used again.