PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 things that annoy you in aviation.
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2010, 12:10
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm sure glad I don't work for the government, or I'd really feel unwelcome around here!

But, I do work closely with the people of the governement to assure that the aircraft you may fly are safe, and will fly the way you think they will. I'm sure your lawyers will be after me if you think I was not entirely successful.

There are enough complaints on here about poorly designed, and poorly maintained aircraft, that so many pilots are forced to fly. It would sound like the posters are suggesting that the private aviation industry cannot be depended upon to provide the quality aircraft you want to fly, without someone you hire, watching over them. Who would that be?

EASA
CAA
FAA
DfT
.... and my favourite, Transport Canada.

All of these "governments" are staffed by people who applied for a job and go it, because they were the best of the applicants for that job. Were those people each the very best person to do that job? maybe, maybe not, but they applied, and they got it.

Are each of the pilots and maintainers who frequent this forum the very best at what they do? Or did they apply for a license anyway, and get it?

So we pilots and maintainers expect some forgiveness when we violate airspace, ding a plane and so forth - forgiveness from the government people who are being blindly slagged here. Certainly those government people entertain themselves with stories of the stupid things we do too.

So all of those here who are nearly perfect in aviation, do have some standing to make observations of dis-satisfaction about the people of the government, who we know are not quite perfect. What about all the rest of us?