PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oman Typhoon
Thread: Oman Typhoon
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2010, 06:19
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a question, and it's reference the whole swing role debate....

Would it be fair to say that a heater and a gun doesn't make you an AD player anymore? Can the same now be said of an LGB that has no GPS help in the A-mud role? What, then, is swing role?

My own opinion is that to be classed as swing role in today's environment (the warfighting one, not the 'I love/ hate aeroplane X unconditionally' one)you need a fox three (well...four or so..), an advanced pod and a GPS guided weapon. Very soon this will need to be augmented by either an LO platform or a SEAD/DEAD weapon as well. No point swinging between roles with gay abandon if all the SAMs in christendom and beyond can reach out and grab you.

I am minded, for the ability to swing into the COIN role that one needs the gun as well.

I realise that the Typhoon must be a swing role aeroplane (I disagree) because the RAF news says it is...the same font of knowledge that shows Seeb, Bastion and KAF as Typhoon shapes in roundel colours...(Off topic but that annoys the hell out of me, and I can't think it overwhelms our heroic SH and hard working AT fleets either)

Anyway, what say you?