PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SFT, et al - A word of Caution
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2001, 20:46
Naples Air Center, Inc.
The Oracle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWW,

£48k for an ab initio ATPL course is insane. How much of that is Taxes and Fees put on by Governing Authorities? When you take the amount of money you figure is Taxes and Fees, how much of that goes back into the Aviation?

Do not get me wrong, I believe we are over taxed in the U.S. too, just not close to the extent that Europe is.

Every year new taxes are added in the name of improving aviation (where the money collected by the tax is suppose to go to new equipment for Control Towers or new runways) and end up in the general operating fund for the government and ultimately go to other non aviation related programs.

It just bothers me to see people that have to give up on their dream of flight just because they could not afford it. When you look into it, the reality is they could afford the cost of training, just not afford the Government Taxes and Fees which are added on top.

There is one thing the U.K. Government could learn from the U.S. In the U.S., there is no Sales Tax on Flight Training. Given the current state of Flight Training, they should reinstate the NVQ and really be on the way to helping students train in the U.K.

Sincerely,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.