PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Telephoto lens - Stabilised or not?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 22:53
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TA for the comments.

'00'
They're not shot pure 'manual', though like yourself I was pre-digital, starting out with Zenith and then moving onto pure manual Pentax MXs' (5FPS motordrive) and then Pro spec Canon Eos1nHS and Eos3. I do occaisionally use pure manual reversion. I can still remember, sunny day, Kodachrome 64, 125th sec, for good overall exposure

The data for the shots are as follows 1DMKII + 400 f2.8
C130
ISO250 F29 1/60sec

Cricket
ISO160 F4.5 1/2000sec

Neddy
ISO160 F5.6 1/800

I use Shutter Priority as a main setting when doing these types of shots and rarely go above ISO250 due 'noise'. Most shots of mine are taken ISO160 or below. I work on rule of thumb basics of blur/pan = slow shutter, freeze action = fast shutter. Whilst dialling them up through the viewfinder I watch for the aperature too bearing in mind my required depth of field simultaneously.
For the C130 I wanted sharp aircraft/prop discs showing no blade, and a 'smeared' background, so I had to be well below 125th sec for the background/discs. I take in mind the speed the subjects are moving at too so a herc is relatively speaking 'slow'.

For the cricket I wanted frozen ball, bales in the air, so needed fast shutter but about 6-10ft DOF to capture player well too.

Neddy, again freeze action but as horse is moving forward, enough DOF to get horse and riders face in focus. Speed not so important as cricket as subject is moving slowly(relatively).

Working with Newshounds gave me some briliant experiences/opportunities, wouldn't have missed it for anything.