PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 22:30
GS-Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You do indeed get 5 hours off the PPL(H) requirement, although strangely, you still have to do the full 5 hours of helicopter instrument flight. You also only need to do two of the theory exams because you already have them with your fixed wing qualification: load and balance (which is just as easy as fixed wing, just that you have left and right CofG to consider too), and Helicopter performance and principles of flight (I just read a book and then took the test, but then I have a Physics degree so that probably helped).

You also begin the CPL(H) course with just 105 heli hours rather than the usual 155 hours, although the CPL(H) course itself is still 30 hours regardless of the fixed wing licence. I would imagine that you would only need to do a few of the CPL(H) theory tests, as per the PPL(H), but I have not looked this up so do not know for sure.

I personally think you will be better off sticking with fixed wing and using some of your earnings to pay for helicopter hire for fun. I considered swapping careers and going the rotary route but it really is not worth it. In my opinion, you do well to get through the system and into gainful employment once these days - to give that up and then try again with helicopters is pushing your luck.

Last edited by GS-Alpha; 3rd Apr 2010 at 22:46.